WATERTOWN WINTER FARM SHOW
Since 1946, the Watertown Area Chamber of Commerce Agriculture Committee has been promoting agriculture by organizing the Watertown Winter Farm Show. In 1946, the SD Angus Association held their first annual show and sale and the SD Purebred Sheep Association sponsored their first annual bred ewe show and sale.
The winter show, at the time, was a four day event and was held in the downtown city auditorium. An annual crop show was continued when the farm show started. A crop and potato show had been held in Watertown since back in the 1920's. Other livestock shows were added over the years, including the first Northeast Holstein Association show in 1955.
In 1961, the show was moved to the Codington County Agricultural Building. That year marked the first Quarter Horse show. The second exhibit building was built in 1963 and this made it possible to add more livestock shows including the Polled & Horned Herefords, Charolais and Bred Gilt shows.
In 1976 the west exhibit building was doubled in size and the show ring was moved to the west building. This increased the space available for stalling livestock as well as made more space for commercial exhibits. In 1980, the State Simmental Association joined the event and in that same year, the feeder steer and heifer show was added.
To serve the Watertown area through the promotion of agriculture. Our programs teach young people that agriculture is a vital part of our day-to-day lives. The Ag Committee also strives to provide new opportunities and programs to inform our community about the importance of agriculture.